Two people taken to hospital due to poisonous chlorine gas in the basement
The Westhoek Fire Department received the call around a quarter to ten. In a house on Oleffelaan, something went wrong during the maintenance of a swimming pool. Two maintenance products were accidentally mixed, causing a toxic cloud of chlorine gas to form in the basement.
“Windows & doors closed”
Two people had to go to hospital for a check-up. There is no immediate danger to the wider environment. People from the neighborhood are asked to stay indoors and close windows and doors. It is also best to switch off the ventilation.
The emergency services have created a perimeter of 30 meters. A special team is on site to neutralize the situation and make it safe again, says Kristof Louagie of the Westhoek Fire Department.