Coach Ville Oksanen briefly commented on Lauri Mannila’s complaint.
There was a commotion in the Finnish men’s national team when Lauri Mannila24, complained about the team selections for the upcoming World Cup weekend to the Sports Legal Protection Board.
Mannila insisted that he should have been selected for the Les Rousses World Cup sprint on Saturday, January 28. The Sports Legal Protection Board rejected the Finnish skier’s appeal, so there will be no changes to the team selections.
Sprint’s responsible coach Ville Oksanen is tight-lipped about the case. He refers to the decision published by the Legal Security Board.
– The matter has been discussed, and a decision has been made. We will go with that decision, he says to Iltalehte.
– In addition to the decision that has been made public, the matter will be discussed internally within the team.
In Mannila’s opinion, the pre-announced selection criteria were not followed in the team selections. He characterized the choices as arbitrary.
The Ski Federation, on the other hand, replied that the team has been selected in accordance with the selection criteria. The board concluded that the choices were not clearly wrong or inappropriate.
The process was complicated by the cancellation of one observation competition, the Rovaniemi Scandinavia Cup, due to frost.
– For each World Cup, it is defined separately which are the demonstration races. Separately designated display races were the traditional sprints of Ruka and Beitostölen’s World Cup, says Oksanen.
There have been rumors about national team selections before. Oksanen does not remember that the matter was taken to the sports legal protection board during his career.
– The choices are often challenging when you have to watch many different competitions and compare between tough athletes. It’s good, of course, that we have many good athletes. These situations arise.
The coach does not want to deal with the case further in public. The spacing is fine.
– We agreed that things will be handled better in the future.
From the information in the decision of the Judicial Security Board, it can be concluded that Mannila questioned Ollie and Ville Ahonen choices. Names are not mentioned in the board’s decision.
The last two World Cup places were awarded based on the vision of the Tampere WC skiers and the coaching management. Olli Ahonen was fifth in the Tampere sprint, Ville Ahonen 14th.
Mannila’s ranking was seventh.
Mannila has skied four World Cup sprints this season with results of 26th, 42nd, 24th and 35th. He has been in the points of the World Cup Four times.
Ahoset did not compete in Ruka in November due to illness. Olli Ahonen was 43rd in his only World Cup sprint of the season. In the Scandinavian Cup, he has taken the 17th and 13th places.
Ville Ahonen was 15th in the Beitostölen World Cup. Tour de Ski sprint ranking was 54th.
Ahosi has one of the world cup points from this season.
The Les Rousses World Cup will be skied on the 27th–29th. January. The World Cup starts in Planica, Slovenia at the end of February.
The Finnish team, Les Rousses
Cross mat Hakola