Klopp’s team turns the game around in two minutes

Liverpool FC remain leaders in the Premier League. Against Luton Town, Klopp’s team turned up the heat in the second half – and were rewarded with a double strike.

Despite numerous injured players, Liverpool FC not only maintained their lead in the Premier League on Wednesday evening, but even extended their lead over their pursuers for the time being. Coach Jürgen Klopp’s team won 4-1 (0-1) against newly promoted Luton Town.

Chiedozie Ogbene gave the outsiders a surprising lead in the first half (12th minute). In the second half, Liverpool permanently laid siege to the visitors’ goal and turned the game around within two minutes. First Virgil van Dijk scored, then Cody Gakpo (56th/58th). Luis Díaz and Harvey Elliot increased the score (71st/90th).

In the table, the team cracked the 60-point mark thanks to the three points against Luton. In first place, Liverpool is four points ahead of Manchester City (56) and five points ahead of Arsenal (55). However, both teams have played one game less than the “Reds”.

That’s how the game went

Coach Jürgen Klopp had to do without a number of injured players. Most recently, Diogo Jota, who will miss Liverpool for several months with a knee injury. Darwin Núñez and star player Mohamed Salah were also missing from the squad.

Liverpool still got off to a powerful start. Díaz had the chance to take the lead early on, appearing alone in front of the opponent’s goal, but then left the ball lying there. Luton defender Osho was then able to clear (3′). A short time later, the Colombian put the ball just wide of the goal (4th).

Suddenly the shock for Liverpool: the outsiders took the lead. LFC keeper Kelleher fended off a Chong shot, but Luton striker Ogbene headed the rebound into the box.

Liverpool were initially quite out of ideas. Díaz alone always radiated danger. But the attacker was still out of luck, as was the case when he finished after just over half an hour. Again he narrowly missed the goal (31st).

In the second period the game became a one-goal game. Díaz and Gakpo initially failed (51st/56th), then van Dijk broke the spell. The defender headed in from a corner. Gakpo then capped the madness when he headed Mac Allister’s cross into the goal 124 seconds later. Anfield was raging.

The hosts now pushed for the decision, which Díaz then made. Robertson passed through to the striker, who finally shot in from six meters. Harvey Elliott made it 4-1 with a powerful shot into the corner in his 100th competitive game for the club.