Afghanistan is no longer looking for survivors of the earthquake that killed at least 1,150 people on Wednesday. A senior government official said this on Friday.
According to the Afghan authorities, about 10,000 houses have been destroyed or seriously damaged. The 6.1 magnitude earthquake is the deadliest since 2002. Its epicenter was 44 kilometers from the southeastern city of Khost.
More than 2,000 people were injured, a spokesman for the Ministry of Disaster Relief also said, who also warns that there is a shortage of medicines and other necessary relief supplies.
Aid workers from the Red Crescent, the Afghan branch of the International Red Cross, are working in the area to help those affected by the earthquake.
Earlier on Friday, the Indian government said a team had been sent to Afghanistan to coordinate the supply of relief supplies. Pakistan, Iran and Qatar are also said to have flown in relief supplies.
Other countries, including Norway and Germany, only want to help through the United Nations. In this way they want to prevent aid from falling into the hands of the Taliban instead of the affected region.