• The justice had ordered to remove the assisted breathing mechanisms that the minor, victim of a viral challenge consisting of holding his breath

    the british boy Archie Batterbee, that was in brain death since last April and that was center of a legal battle of the family to keep him alive, he died this Saturday after the assisted breathing mechanisms, The mother reported Holly Dance. The youngest of 12 years and whose case was the center of media attention, died around 12:15 local time (11:15 GMT) at the Royal London Hospital, in the east of the British capital.

    In a statement to the media outside the hospital, the mother said her son “fought to the end.” “I mean I’m the proudest mother in the world. He was a beautiful boy,” she said between sobs.

    The family had embarked on a lengthy legal process, with many resources, to keep the little boy alive, who had been brain dead since he was found unconscious on April 7 at his home in Southend, Essex county (southeast England).

    Victim of a viral challenge

    Archie was found with a rope tied around his head and it is estimated that he may have suffered an accident when he participated in a viral challenge, consisting of holding his breath, through social networks.

    In recent months, the family sought legal action to prevent the hospital from withdrawing, as the health unit wanted, the assisted breathing apparatus, considering that had no chance of recovery. After several appeals in the British courts and the intervention of the European Court of Human Rights, that the hospital was right, the family also tried unsuccessfully in recent days to allow Archie to be taken from the hospital to a hospice so that he could die in this place, away from the noise of Royal London.

    The last effort in this direction was exhausted last night after the European Court of Human Rights indicated that the case of transfer to a hospice was “out” of its competence. The hospital argued that putting Archie in hospice was risky because a slight movement of the body could further aggravate his condition. A spokesman for the group Christian Concern, which supports Archie’s family, acknowledged that “all legal routes” had been exhausted and that relatives were “shattered”.

    During the court proceedings, British judges reiterated that continuing to provide vital support to the child was contrary to their best interests. The judge Lucy Theis, of the family division of the High Court of London, highlighted, in denying the transfer to the hospice, the “unconditional love and dedication” of the family and stressed that he hoped that the child would have the opportunity to die in peace.

    Related news

    The boy died after his treatment was discontinued. “according to court decisions”Alistair Chesser, chief medical officer at the London Royal Hospital, confirmed in a statement. A relative of Archie recounted that he was stable “for two hours” until the ventilator was completely removed.

    “There is no dignity in watching a family member or a child suffocate,” he said. “No family should go through what we went through, it’s outrageous,” she added. On Saturday morning, some passersby placed flowers and candles at the foot of a statue in front of the hospital.